FadeIn and English Club to screen ‘Apocalypse Now’

After co-sponsoring a documentary screening with Hillel last week of Mira Binford’s “Diamonds in the Snow,” FadeIn will give Quinnipiac students a chance to view “Apocalypse Now” on Saturday,, April 20, when the club co-sponsors a screening of the movie in conjunction with the English Club.

Directed by Francis Ford Coppola, the film focuses on the effect that war can have on a man.
    After the film, English Club President Kristie Sobeck will lead a discussion focusing on “Heart of Darkness,” the short story which the movie is loosely based upon.

FadeIn President Belinda Russell said the decision to screen “Apocalypse Now” was not a hard one to make.

“We wanted to show a film that was adapted from a novel, and that limited our choices somewhat,” said Russell.

“FadeIn had the opportunity to view the longer, re-edited version of the film. This screening was at Trinity College and contributed to our desire to visit the original version.”

Russell, a senior English major, sees the event as a way to combine her interests in English and mass communications, but she also thinks the event will be entertaining for anyone who attends the screening.

The club has been working hard to promote the event.

“We have relied on word of mouth and advertisements,” said Russell. “For this event, we used the website bulletin.”

The hard work that FadeIn has put into promoting its events this year has paid off. Interest in the club has been higher than ever thanks to cafeteria signs and flyers posted throughout the campus.

Many students are becoming more aware of what the organization is all about and what the members have planned.

Despite the fact that interest seems to be peaking now, there has been no shortage of activity within the club in recent years.

“Trips and events have always been a part of FadeIn,” said Russell. “We have taken trips to various art house theaters and have brought filmmakers Bret Stern and Marina Zenovich to campus to present and discuss their work and experiences.”
    FadeIn and the English Club offer another such cinematic experience on Saturday April 20, at 1 p.m. in Buckman Theater when the organizations screen “Apocalypse Now.”

A discussion of “Heart of Darkness” will follow the screening. Admission is free.