‘QU Helps You Quit’ kick off campus smokeout day

Quinnipiac students are shaking hands with illness and death everyday on campus. They do this simply by standing outside the Student Center in between classes and breathing in the smoke-filled air. Quinnipiac community members, like many people worldwide, have become prey to a seemingly harmless, casual, killer–the cigarette.
    On April 3, the “QU Helps You Quit” organization and the American Lung and Cancer Society each expressed the dangers of smoking to students and faculty. Many campus organizations were also in attendance and helped with the “kick off” Smokeout Day.
    A shocking film, diagrams, pamphlets, information booths and organizational representatives all tried to instill the same message to students and faculty- smoking is deadly to everyone, and QU is going to help those who are interested in quitting, to do so.
    The idea for the “QU Helps You Quit Smokeout Day” started a year and a half ago with a proposal by Lisa Bevins, a graduate student at Quinnipiac.
    “One student’s project has blossomed into a bunch of students’ projects and we have gotten a lot of support,” said Bevins.
    The “QU Helps You Quit” organization was assisted by the Occupational Therapy Club, the Marketing Club, the Health Services Administration, the Student Government, respiratory therapy student, and the Connecticut Society for Respiratory Care. Together, all of these organizations worked towards a common objective.
    “The goal is to train faculty, staff and students to be supportive of students who want to quit smoking,” said Dr. Ronald Rozette, director of the health administration.
    Members of the club are also looking into the idea of getting products sent to the campus Quick Stop store that will aid in the process of quitting smoking. These products may possibly include niccotine patches and nicorette chewing gum, according to Bevins.
    Counseling will soon be offered on campus for those who wish to quit smoking.
    Students and staff are being trained by members of the American Lung Association to help people beat the addiction, according to Dr. Rozette.
    The “QU Helps You Quit” organization is planning to sponsor another “Smokeout Day” next fall.
    The club will also be taking part in the Annual National Smokeout Day in November, which is organized by The American Cancer Association.
    Members of the organization will also be attending the Annual Health Fair for faculty and staff this summer.
    Literature provided by the American Association for Respiratory Care reveals that once a person stops smoking, the body begins to repair itself almost immediately.
    Within 20 minutes of the last cigarette, one’s blood pressure, pulse rate and body temperature of a person’s hands and feet become normal.
    In eight to 24 hours, the oxygen level in the blood will increase and the chance of a heart attack decreases.
    In 48 hours, nerve endings start regrowing, and the ability to taste and smell is enhanced.
    Those who continue to smoke run the risk of being diagnosed with diseases such as lung cancer and emphysema in the future.
    It is also never too soon or too late to quit smoking because the smoker’s health and the health of others is being saved.
    For any questions about counseling or to get involved with the “QU Helps You Quit”organization, contact Dr. Rozette at x 8249.