TREE to expand membership

It is mid-afternoon and the sun is brightly shining. The weather is warm and the smell of spring is in the air. A group of students drop their book bags and lay down on the cool green grass of the Quad. They look around campus. The plants are blossoming and the pathways are litter-free.
    Members of TREE, (Teaching Reaching Environmental Education) are what make this image possible and realistic.
    This organization was founded by Mari Mioshi, an alumnus of 2000, who is active in maintaining and preserving the cleanliness of Quinnipiac.
    TREE holds two yearly “clean-ups” around campus, which take place once a semester.
    For the spring semester, TREE will be planning a clean-up where students will travel the campus in search of litter and debris.
    Along with participating in acts to clean up the campus, TREE also takes part in activities off-campus. For example, members of the organization attended Gifts of the Earth V, in Olivebridge, New York.
    This program encompasses a series of workshops that cater to further educate students about the natural environment.
    TREE has organized hiking trips in the past for students who were interested.
    “TREE’s main statement is to teach, and reach environmental education to the Quinnipiac community,” said F.C. Rodriguez, the organization’s secretary. “We provide the opportunity for Quinnipiac University students to become acquainted with environmental realities.”
    This year, TREE will be organizing the events of Earth Day. Also, the students of the organization plan to increase their membership.
    “In the past, the organization has had interested students who are majoring in the hard core sciences. However, we would like to have a more diverse membership by inviting all majors to help us,” said Rodriguez.

For more information about TREE, call Rodriguez at 645-8335. If interested in becoming a member, email [email protected].