Clubing in New Haven offers variety of choices

After a week of school work, projects and tests, the average student’s stress level is likely to be rather high. The students of Quinnipiac University are in luck, though, because right in their backyard waits an exciting nightlife to make all the weeks’ work worth while.
    New Haven is a city that combines New England’s charm with a hearty cosmopolitan lifestyle. The city has a variety of clubs that will make Quinnipiac students dance till they drop.
    Alchemy Nightclub is located at 223 College St. in New Haven. The club is divided into two sections. Towards the front of the building, on the corner of Crown St. and College St., there is a state of the art cafe.
    If the cafe isn’t exactly what the clubgoer is looking for, Alchemy is also the home of a dance club. The club boasts a technically advanced lighting system, special effects and a powerful digital sounds system.
    The dance club is open until 2 a.m. and is for the 21 and over crowd. As far as cover charges go, it depends on the night.
    On Wednesdays, Alchemy has “Reggae Wednesdays” with no cover charge and live reggae music with Dub Squad.
    Thursday nights are dubbed as “School Daze” with no cover charge if you show college identification. Music is provided by resident DJs Madhatter and Joe Giucastro.
    Friday night at Alchemy is “Ladies Night” and women have no cover charge. Progressive house and hip hop is the music of choice presented by resident DJs, DJ Subconscious and Angelo Fecci.
    Quinnipiac student Melissa Brinley is a huge fan of Alchemy.
    “It’s so much fun,” she said. “The place is gorgeous and the atmosphere is just awesome.”
    Ashley Russell agreed.
    “I think Alchemy is great,” she said. “The music is always good to dance to and it’s fun to see everyone out and having a good time after a long week.”
    Right around the corner from Alchemy is the night club Risk, on 230 Crown St.
    Risk is usually found to be less crowded than Alchemy, and is therefore a very popular place to scoot over to when the amount of people are driving you crazy.
    For the somewhat younger crowd, Vandome is very popular. Vandome is a fashionable nightclub in New Haven, and unlike Alchemy, the age to get in and just dance is 18.
    Vandome is popular for its various theme nights and great interior design. The club is located at 102 Hamilton Street.
    Student Kristine Capstick is a regular at the club.
    “Vandome always proves for a fun night out,” she said. “The music is always great and it’s awesome seeing everyone from school having fun in the same place.”
    Gotham City is also a popular club in New Haven. It is located at 130 Crown Street, and is bigger than most of the other clubs mentioned. It has multiple floors and many different rooms with different varieties of music.
    Club lover Jennifer Partridge raves about Gotham City.
    “Even though it gets crowded at times, I love it,” she said. “The music is always new and upbeat and it’s just a great place for anyone who wants to dance.”
    Cover charges are in the vicinity of five dollars for those who are 18-20 and just want to dance. There is no cover for those 21 and over.
    For more information about going out in New Haven, visit www.clubct.com/newhaven.htm

For more information about Alchemy, call (203) 777-9400

For more information about Risk, call (203) 776-8335.

For directions to Vandome, call (203) 789-2066.

For more information about Gotham City, call (203) 498-2484