Winter hits Hamden

Now that winter has arrived and school hasn’t really gotten that intense yet, there might be some time available for winter sports.
    Several options are available just around the corner, with Powder Ridge, Ski Sundown and Mount Southington for skiing and Northford Ice Pavilion for ice skating.
    Powder Ridge skiing is located right off Exit 18 on I-91. It is open from 9 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. every day and a lift ticket is $29 for any eight hours during a weekday, and $32 for any eight hours on the weekend.
    The price for renting skis at Powder Ridge are $27, and the price of renting a snowboard with boots are $30. There are special priced tickets available for afternoon or night skiing, and tubing is also available.
    Powder Ridge has 17 trails ranging from easiest to expert. To get more information you can call (860) 349-3454.
    About an hour from Quinnipiac, off exit 44 on Route 8, you can find Ski Sundown. Their regular opening hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., but also have night skiing available until 10 p.m.
    An all day ski ticket for an adult at Ski Sundown is $34, but you can buy morning, afternoon, latecomer or night passes as well. Ski rental is $28, and the price of renting a snowboard is $35.
    There are 15 trails available at Ski Sundown, and 14 of them have night lighting. Most of the trails are for beginners, but there are a few advanced trails as well. If you want more information on Ski Sundown you can call (860) 379-7669.
    Mount Southington is a small ski resort located right off exit 30 on I-84. The mountain is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekends. Night skiing is also available until 10 p.m. on weekdays and until 10:30 p.m. on weekends.
    All day tickets are $30 every day, with specials for morning and night skiing. It costs $26 to rent skis at Mount Southington, and $30 to rent a snowboard with boots.
    Total number of trails are 14, with a mix between beginners, intermediate and advanced. For more information about Mount Southington you can call (860) 628-0954.
    If you want to go ice skating Quinnipiac is not far from the Northford Ice Pavilion (484-4054). The Ice Pavilion is located right on route 22, just off exit 11 on I-91.
    It is open for public skating on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10:30-12 p.m. and on Sundays between 1-2:30 p.m. The entrance fee is $5 and the cost of renting skates is $3.
    So, if you are bored with all the studying and need a little break for the day, why not take a short ski trip or go ice skating with some friends?