Athletic Center anticipated for completetion in August

With the university’s increasing athletic programs, Quinnipiac has decided to expand the athletic center. The 32,000 square-foot expansion has begun construction and has an anticipated completion date of August 2002, said athletic director Jack McDonald.
    The additional elements to this new development include an indoor-banked track, a new athletic training room and clinic, a multi-purpose room, ten new coach’s offices, a 700 square-foot conference room, and a new lobby.
    The athletic center, which is being extended outwards toward the sports fields, interfered with the outdoor basketball courts. McDonald said that the plans to relocate the courts are tentative, however some possibilities include placement between the baseball and softball fields and next to the recreation center near the east soccer ball field.
    In addition, director of facilities Joseph Rubertone proposed plans to use the space in the circles of the dorms of The Village and The Commons for recreational facilities. During the course of the winter break, basketball courts were set up in those spaces.
    Due to the construction, there are some concerns among the students regarding the temporary closing of the athletic center. After April 1, the recreation center will be closed, but the fitness center will be open, said McDonald. There should be no interference with regular use of the fitness center.
    The enhancement to the center is availing for athletic training, intercollegiate programs, and for leisure recreation. In addition, the additional training rooms will help to “provide Quinnipiac Athletic Training Students with some of the most advanced sports medicine technology within the New England region and nationally,” said Dr. Lenn Johns, director of athletic training.
    Lindsay Rizzo, a freshman on the cheerleading team said, “The additional space is definitely needed and long overdue. The expansion has great advantages. It will be both convenient and beneficial to the sports programs as well as the educational programs, which in turn will greatly impact the university.”