Students complain about smoking

There are over 2,000 smokers on Quinnipiac’s campus, and over 700 of them will die prematurely as a result of tobacco use.
    According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), cigarette smoking is the number one cause of preventable death in the United States, yet smoking remains a huge problem on campus.
    Sophomore, Stacy Hebert, is disgusted by the enormous smoking population here at Quinnipiac.
    “It’s impossible to walk anywhere on this campus without running into at least ten people who are smoking,” said Hebert. “Not only is it unhealthy for them, but it’s unhealthy for non-smokers who are forced to breathe the smoke polluted air provided by the mass number of cigarette smokers on this campus.”
    Sophomore, Nicole Ahrens, agrees.
    “There are way too many people who smoke cigarettes on this campus,” she said. “Something needs to be done about it.”
    Director of Health Management, Dr. Ronald Rozett, is planning on launching a smoking cessation project next semester that will provide counseling and help to faculty and students who want to stop smoking.
    “We, at Quinnipiac, have a big problem with the large amount of people smoking and we intend to do something about it,” said Rozett. “I think the program will be a big success and will help a lot of people, both faculty and students, quit smoking.”