The second slice: ‘American Pie 2’ out on video & DVD

Ask any character from American Pie and they’ll agree: It’s never as good the second time. Still, this sequel to the fruity teen comedy is based on a winning recipe and crams in plenty of belly laughs with super glue, tantric sex and a few band-camp stories.
    The second slice is now on video and DVD to rent, and will be available to purchase in January. It is being shown in Buckman Theater up until finals week. Check the poster outside the cafe for times.
    What was great about the film was that the entire gang regrouped for the sequel and the plot after their first year at college-and that even includes Jason Biggs’ hilarious overcompensating dad Eugene Levy. The boys are renting a lake house for the summer with new and ambitious goals: Throw a killer party and get lucky…for a second time.
    This time Finch (Eddie Kay Thomas) is prepared to go to the ends of the earth to win his prize, Stifler’s Mom (Jennifer Collidge). Stifler (Sean William Scott) is still the guy you love to hate but he comes through when its time to pay the rent and throw a party. He steals most scenes with his potty mouth and misplaced machismo.
    You can almost ignore that this second offering is light on plot and heavy on leftover gags from the first-more clever-film. Oz (Chris Klein) is left to fend for himself all summer while his sweetheart Heather (Mena Suvari) is studying abroad in Spain. But Heather introduces some Euro-phone-love to Oz that keeps him attached in their relationship.
    Kevin (Thomas Nicholas) calls his brother again for some advice and awaits a reunion with Vicky (Tara Reed) who turns out to be even more beautiful than ever before, making it even harder to “just be friends”.
    Of course the central character Jim Levinstein (Jason Biggs) survives his first year at college, but without any blips on the love radar all year. He finds out that Nadia (Shannon Elizabeth) is coming back at the end of the summer to finish what was started the year before. Now he has three months to get the moves right. To make sure, he asks Michelle (Alyson Hannigan) for some Band Camp “counseling.”
    The film was a hit at the box office breaking records with a $45.1 million opening weekend. It was the biggest opening for an R-rated comedy in history. Director J.B. Rogers and writer Adam Herz knew exactly what to put on the menu. Besides the “American Pie” installments, the Farrelly Brothers mentored assistant director Rogers on the sets of “Me Myself and Irene,” “There’s Something About Mary” and “Dumb and Dumber.”
    Who knew superglue would be such a success? Rogers knew Apple Pie was a hit, so why not use superglue?