Fifth Annual Community Service Auction to benifit kids

Community service is a large part of Greek life and what better way to get involved with the community than a fund-raiser. Fraternities and sororities Alpha Chi Omega, Phi Sigma Sigma, Delta Sigma Phi, Tau Kappa Epsilon along with the Pan Hellenic and Interfraternity councils sponsored the 5th Annual Community Service Auction held on Nov. 27.
    Trish Tribelhorn of Phi Sigma Sigma and Jason Grimes of Tau Kappa Epsilon served as co-chairmen for the organization.
    “This is the one event that symbolized what Greek life is about…It’s about philanthropy, and giving back to others,” said Ed Kovacs, assistant director of the Carl Hansen Student Center.
    The motivation for the auction, like last year, was to raise money for the Children’s Center of Hamden, Inc. , an agency dedicated to providing a safe environment for children in treatment for behavioral, emotional and learning disabilities.
    The approximately 100 bidders were comprised of mostly students, along with faculty, staff, and administrators.
    More than 80 items were auctioned off.
    Featured items were priority registrations that sold for $41 and $22, NY Giants autographed memorabilia, two box seats to a 2002 New York Mets game and many gift certificates.
    The auctioned items were donated from local businesses like Willoughby’s, Domino’s and Cakeworks, etc.
    “University faculty and staff have also supported us through donations,” said Kovacs
    The QU Women’s Tennis Team, Office of Residential Life, the Registrar and other organizations donated items.
    “The Community Service Auction is starting to evolve into a campus-wide event which is what we really want. The more people we get involved, the more money we’re going to raise for the Children’s Center,”said Kovacs
    If the trend continues, next year’s auction will raise more money to help the children of Hamden. The agency is always looking for donations. By supporting the Children’s Center of Hamden, Inc. the fraternities and sororities were able to give a gift to the children that will extend throughout the year.