Men’s Ice Hockey: Bobcats fall in overtime to Tigers

The Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey team trailed all game Monday night against Princeton before they came back in the third period to send it into overtime. However, the Tigers won it in overtime on Dan Bartlett’s third goal of the game to defeat the Bobcats 4-3.

After a scoreless first period, the second period saw plenty of offense.

Bartlett recorded the first goal of the game to give Princeton a 1-0 lead. Mike Kramer took the initial shot, but Bartlett got the rebound off Bobcat goaltender Dan Clarke and put it past him for the early lead.

Two minutes later, Bartlett struck again on a power play opportunity by tipping a shot by Kevin Lohry past Clarke to give Princeton a 2-0 lead.

The Bobcats responded immediately. Freshman D’Arcy Oakes scored his second goal of the season less than a minute after Bartlett’s goal to cut the lead to 2-1. Russell Goodman was credited with the assist for his first point in his collegiate debut.

Bartlett picked up his third point of the game, this time on an assist to Kramer who scored to put the Tigers up 3-1 with ten minutes left in the period.

With 42 seconds remaining in the period, Oakes fired a shot between the blue line and faceoff circle past Tigers goalie Allie Reynolds for his second goal of the game and narrowed the deficit to 3-2. Oakes became the sixth Bobcat player to have a multi-goal game this season.

In the third period, Scott Zurevinski tied the game for the Bobcats by putting his own rebound past Reynolds for his ninth goal of the season and first in five games.

With 2:15 left to play in overtime, Bartlett completed the hat trick and scored the game-winning goal.

Despite the loss, the Bobcats earned a point in the standings, which keeps them in first place in ECAC Hockey ahead of Cornell.

Quinnipiac faces Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute next at home on Jan. 8 to begin a six-game homestand.