Women’s Ice Hockey: QU suffers defeat, earns tie

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team struggled against ECAC Hockey competition over the weekend, falling to the No. 4 Clarkson Knights on Friday afternoon and tying the St. Lawrence Saints on Saturday.

Friday was a close game, with the Knights beating the Bobcats by a score of 2-1. Freshman forward Heather Hughes put the Bobcats on the board 7:05 into the second period with a power play goal. Quinnipiac held its 1-0 for the rest of the first and second periods.

But the Knights finally caught up with a goal two minutes into the third period by forward Melissa Waldie. Less than seven minutes later, Clarkson put another tally on the board, with a goal by Tegan Schroeder. The Knights continued to control the game, despite the Bobcats’ efforts to even the score.

“It was probably the best 40 minutes of hockey we’ve ever played, in the first and second period,” Quinnipiac head coach Rick Seeley said. “We had a couple breakdowns in the third, which you can’t afford against the No. 4-ranked team in the nation, but overall it was a great game for us.”

On Saturday, the Bobcats tied the Saints 2-2. St. Lawrence scored the first goal half way through the first period. The Bobcats dominated the second period with goals by forwards Kallie Flor and Janine Duffy in the middle of the period, but the Saints came back in the beginning of the third period with the game-tying goal by Jamie Goldsmith. The Saints and Bobcats played a five-minute overtime, only to leave the score tied at 2.

“They played hard today,” Seeley said. “There were a few breakdowns here and there, but they worked hard on what we’re trying to accomplish. To come away with a point on this trip is acceptable and we’ll take the tie.”

The Bobcats will take a break until Thursday, Dec. 31 when they take on Princeton at the TD Bank Sports Center at 12 p.m.