Black, not bleak, Friday this year

Despite the slump in the economy, Black Friday sale prices were on the rise this 2009 season. According to WebProNews.com, the average sale total in 2008 was $130.24. This year, the sale price was $180.03, a 38.2 percent increase.

Another major increase this year was the amount of shopping done online. Many Web sites offered major discounts to coincide with the holiday festivities, but these deals tended to be a “one deal per day” offer. Certain Web sites that offered these discounts were Amazon.com, eBay.com, Walmart.com and BestBuy.com.

These online specials are appealing to many shoppers.

“I prefer to do my shopping online,” said sophomore Grace Lepis. “I’m not a huge fan of getting up early and rushing to the store.”

Other students just don’t see the point in making the trip out at 5 a.m.

“I don’t like getting up early,” said sophomore Erica Lee. “I like to take my time when I’m shopping and not feel rushed.”

Since the start of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1924, the day after Thanksgiving has traditionally been the start of the holiday shopping season.

The term “Black Friday” was first used during the 1960s to signify when stores’ retail numbers started to move from the “red” to the “black” (turning a profit). This took place when accounting records were tallied by hand. The red ink indicated a loss in sales, and the “black” identified a profit.