Women’s Basketball: Quinnipiac takes home opener against UNH

The Quinnipiac women’s basketball defeated the University of New Hampshire 69-54 Sunday at the TD Bank Sports Center for its first win of the season.

Redshirt freshman Felicia Barron led Quinnipiac (1-2) in scoring with 14 points and six assists, and sophomore Jacinda Dunbar added 12 points, five rebounds and four steals. The team only shot 29 percent from the field, but the defense forced 22 New Hampshire turnovers to secure the win.

“I think that was one of the best defensive performances we’ve seen,” Quinnipiac head coach Tricia Fabbri said. “We’ve been really strong on the defensive side.”

Along with Dunbar and Barron, Redshirt senior Kathleen Neyens added 11 points and was one rebound shy of a double-double with nine.

Lailah Pratt and Shelby Sferra also helped under the glass, as Pratt had seven rebounds while Sferra had five.

The Bobcats showed much improvement from their first two games of the season. They were able to get out to a quick lead and hold it throughout the game. They also cut their number of turnovers in half.

“The two hardest wins in a season are the first one and the one to get to the championship game,” Fabbri said. “I’m really happy for my staff and my girls today.”