Volleyball: Bobcats end with Bang

The sounds of celebration bounced off the walls of the Burt Kahn Court as the Quinnipiac volleyball team rallied back from an 0-2 deficit in its win over Saint Francis (Pa.) Sunday afternoon.

After losing the first two sets by a combined four points, the Bobcats faced pending defeat going into the third set in their last game of the season. Despite falling behind early, they were able to take the lead and control the third set, and from there, the match.

“Our defense continued to get better,” Quinnipiac head coach Robin Lamott Sparks said. “And we’re running a really fast offense. It was so nice to see them put it together for three straight games. We’ve struggled through that all year. But they really dictated the tempo for three games and I couldn’t be more proud of them.”

For two players, the win was the last game of their college careers. Seniors Erin Overdevest and Kristen Corinaldesi were pleased with the outcome of the match.

“It just showed how passionate we really are about the game,” Overdevest said. “We came together. We wanted to finish out on a good note.”

And the Bobcats did finish on a good note, winning the match 3-2.

Sophomore Kelby Carey totaled 24 kills and 21 digs, marking her first 20-20 game of her career. Freshman Chelsey Pachoud contributed 14 kills and 12 digs to the Bobcats victory. Another freshman, Logan Riker, surpassed her own goals on Sunday.

“She was hoping to get 19 digs,” Sparks said. “She got 25 digs tonight. I was hoping she’d get 30, but she got 25.”

While the team is made up of mainly underclassmen, it will be hard to replace the two graduating seniors, Sparks said.

“The seniors are two of the most incredible young women that I know, and I told them that,” Sparks said. “I think their moral compass is so strong that they just lead by example. They’re great students, they’re really good leaders, they’re really good citizens. The way they conduct themselves just sets a tone that is going to be really great for us next year.”

Although the Bobcats had a tough season, this win against the Red Flash proved their potential for next year. With all underclassmen making up the team, the next two seasons will be a time to continue to improve their skills and to become close to one another in order to play successful seasons.

“It’s been a good experience,” Overdevest said. “We have a great group of girls. It’s like our second family. We all get along well.”