Field Hockey: Lock Haven bounces ‘Cats in semis

The Quinnipiac field hockey team made it to the NEC Tournament for the ninth time in the last 11 years, but lost to the top-seeded Lock Haven Lady Eagles, 2-1 on Friday in the semifinals.

Freshman Kristen Engelke scored the lone goal for the Bobcats late in the second half. Quinnipiac was fighting a penalty after receiving a 10-minute yellow card. Engelke’s shorthanded goal was unassisted and off of a rebounded ball in front of Lock Haven’s net.

“We put together a very strong showing,” head coach Becca Kohli said. “We played extremely well on both sides of the ball. When we were a man-down, we played excellent, and scored, which is amazing. We had opportunities to score in this game and unfortunately we fell short.”

Lock Haven’s NEC-leading scorer Amy Hordendorf scored a goal off a penalty shot 10 minutes into the game, and Suzann Hobart scored Lock Haven’s second goal at the 20:49 mark late in the first half.

Christine Grady led Quinnipiac with four shots, two of which were on net. Jenna Grossman, the NEC Goalkeeper of the Year, made seven saves in her final game as a Bobcat.

The loss also ended the careers of Brandy Longacre, Bonnie Shea, Cassie Adams, MacKenzie Liptak, Christine Grady and Lauren Hartnett.