Fox’s ‘Glee’ releases first show soundtrack

Fox’s hit show “Glee” has taken the world by storm. Audiences and fans everywhere cannot help but sing along to the catchy, chart-topping song remakes delivered by this talented cast. On Nov. 3, “Glee: The Music, Volume 1” was released after great anticipation.

Most people may associate Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin'” with the successful show. The remake of the song is done well, with great harmonizing and leads vocals by Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) and football hunk Finn Hudson (Cory Monteith). The cast put their own spin on the popular song, demonstrating that they are truly unstoppable. Michele also shines in Celine Dion’s “Taking Chances.” Her voice is the epitome of Broadway; very animated and strong. However, her voice sounds delicate throughout the beginning of the song. This just proves how truly talented she is, to adapt to so many different genres of music.

Another song on the album, a remake of Kanye West’s “Gold Digger,” is sung by Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison). However, seeing Morrison, a former member of the boy band LMNT performing the song is awkward. Although he is an extremely talented entertainer, Morrison seemed a bit out of place. Yet, the song opens with the incredible pipes of Mercedes Jones (Amber Riley). Her extremely powerful voice puts a nice twist on the song, despite Morrison’s poor attempt at rapping.

“Somebody to Love” is another fabulous song on the album, opening with the soothing sounds of a choir-like performance. The power of the song escalates quickly, and the arrangement takes on an original twist. The song is one of the most emotional performances thus far.

The song “Alone,” originally by Heart, is performed by Morrison and guest star Kristin Chenoweth. Surprisingly, the tiny frame of Chenoweth houses a powerhouse voice. The two perfectly complemented each other, delivering a moving performance. Choosing Chenoweth as a guest actress was certainly an intelligent choice. Not only was the actress’s part extremely funny, but she is a gifted singer.

Although most of the songs performed on the show consist of great arrangements, “Glee” has had its fair share of mishaps, with tracks that prove to be less than stellar. Jazmine Sullivan’s “Bust Your Windows” was a giant mess. So, it is surprising that it is featured on the album. Although Riley could sing the phone book and still be thoroughly entertaining, this song was an unusual choice for the show. The remakes of songs “Hate on Me” and “Bust a Move” also seemed like fillers for some of the shows, lacking the charisma and talent that is usually displayed by the cast.

Furthermore, it is disappointing that the episode featuring the mash-ups “It’s My Life/Confessions, Pt. II” and “Halo/Walking on Sunshine” are not included on the soundtrack. The tracks are very entertaining and original, so it is surprising that they are not included on the track list.

Still, with songs like “Sweet Caroline,” “Take a Bow” and “No Air,” that everyone can sing along to, it is certain that the album will sell profitably.