Texts from last night…

“Remember that text you shouldn’t have sent last night? We do.”

That’s the headline across the Web site, textsfromlastnight.com, and it certainly sets the tone of what to expect from the site.

We’ve all been there, waking up on a Saturday or Sunday morning and going through our phones to discover what really happened the night before. And although it’s usually not very funny when you read the messages you sent to someone you probably shouldn’t talk to after 1 a.m., it sure is hilarious when you read what someone else said that night.

Who would have thought creating a Web site full of these text messages would be such a hit among college students? I mean, it definitely makes sense and it’s absolutely brilliant because it is exactly the kind of humor that most college-age people relate to. I realize that older generations may not appreciate the humor behind textsfromlastnight.com, and I respect that because some of the messages are pretty vulgar. But overall, I think the site is hysterical. Even the messages that are dumb and funny, not even inappropriate but just stupid, can have you rolling on the floor. I would post some in this article, but I’m not sure how appropriate that would be.

I wouldn’t recommend going on the Web site while you’re in class because being the person who starts laughing out loud at your computer screen couldn’t make it more obvious that you’re not paying attention, not that I’ve ever had this personal experience or anything. The site is very addicting too. You can read texts from the “best nights” or “worst nights,” or go through the “home” thread of texts and all of a sudden you’ll be on page 35 and wasted a half-hour reading ridiculous, yet completely entertaining, text messages.

“Our goal is to create a site that was revealing in nature while concealing the identity of everyone involved,” says the “about” section of textsfromlastnight.com. So keep the texts coming, everyone seems to love the Web site and reading about people’s wild nights.

If you think about the big picture of the Web site too, it’s pretty impressive that it was founded less than a year ago (February 2009) and has become so popular. Now the Web site has advertisements on it and the two people who started the little project are making money off of people’s drunken (usually) text messages. Also, the fact that there is now a Web site about text messages just goes to show how technologically advanced our society has become. Twenty years ago, the Internet was just starting and cell phones weren’t even a thought.