‘The Vow’ breaks hype’s promise

After seeing “The Vow,” moviegoers will wish their tickets came with a pre-nup.

Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams keep it realistic (and slightly disappointing) in this new Valentine’s Day flick.

Paige (McAdams) experiences a car crash that causes her to lose her memory of her husband, Leo (Tatum). Leo is devastated by this discovery and is determined to make his wife fall in love with him again. His endeavor, though, comes with obstacles, including Paige’s estranged parents (Sam Neill and Jessica Lange) and her ex-fiancé, Jeremy (Scott Speedman). Paige’s family tries to direct her away from her less conservative life as an artist and wife to Leo.

The chemistry between McAdams and Tatum was refreshing, as they did not portray the super-serious couple that tend to occupy romantic movies. In fact, the couple’s realness was one of the film’s few highlights. Unfortunately, the plot mainly focused on the negative drama between Paige and her family. Therefore, the chemistry was overshadowed by the family’s dirty laundry.

Needless to say, the movie is far more complicated (and frustrating) than the trailers make it out to be. Between Paige’s touchy ex-fiancé, her snobby parents and Leo’s desperate attempts to woo her back, viewers will anticipate the end. “The Vow” started off promising, with a beautiful wedding scene and an ultra-emotional, slow-motion car accident scene. But after those moments the film was rushed, resulting in an anti-climactic ending.

McAdams, who is no stranger to the romance genre, was a shining star. Tatum, however, gets an ‘A’ for effort, but an ‘F’ for his artsy wardrobe. His character was inconsistent throughout the film. In the beginning, he played a sweet, dorky hipster who made Paige laugh by farting and singing Meatloaf. By the end of the movie he was once again portraying the same edgy tough guy from “Step Up,” punching Paige’s ex-fiancé in the face at a wedding. Despite several cute and memorable lines, the only good thing to come from Tatum’s role was the multiple, pointless shirtless scenes and hiney shots.

Those looking for a feel-good, light-hearted romance might as well save the $11, order some takeout and put on a movie from your Netflix queue. Despite all the hype, “The Vow” simply falls short.