Soubrier, Suprise shine in perfect weekend

Men’s soccer defeated Sacred Heart and Farleigh Dickinson on the road this past weekend, winning both games 1-0 to remain unbeaten in Northeast Conference play.

The Bobcats faced Sacred Heart in Fairfield, Conn., on Sunday, and it was a scoreless game for the first 75 minutes until junior Pierre Soubrier was fouled inside the 18-yard line forcing a penalty shot.

Soubrier’s penalty kick went past the left side of Sacred Heart goalkeeper Alex Fait and the Bobcats were able to hold off the Pioneers’ offense for the victory.

Soubrier’s goal was his third of the season, making him the third player on the team with three goals.

Senior goalkeeper Freddy Hall made seven saves for his seventh shutout of the season.

Before Sunday’s victory, the team had traveled to New Jersey to take on the Farleigh Dickinson Knights on Friday.

Neither team was able to score heading into the final minute of regulation, but freshman Philip Suprise scored the game-winning goal from nearly 40 yards out.

Suprise was able to steal the ball from a defender, take two steps toward the goal, and fire a shot that curved over the goalkeeper and into the top far corner for the win.

“That was the most spectacular goal I have ever seen,” head coach Eric De Costa said.

It was Suprise’s team-leading sixth goal of the season.

Just as important as Suprise’s goal was Quinnipiac’s defensive play. Hall kept the Bobcats in the game by recording four saves, playing all 90 minutes.

With the two victories, the Bobcats are 7-1-5 overall and 4-0-1 in the NEC. The win over Sacred Heart put them in a tie for first place in the NEC with Monmouth, as they each have 13 points.

The Bobcats’ next game is this Friday against Long Island at the Quinnipiac Soccer Field.