7 ways to jump into fall

In the fall season, Quinnipiac University’s campus illuminates with colors and character. The fresh, crisp air gives an aura to students on campus enjoying the few short weeks until winter. Here is a list of fun ways to enjoy this fall season.

1. Apple picking is the perfect activity to jump start fall. If you’re the type to just pick up a pre-picked bag of apples with cider and doughnuts, that’s fine too. There are plenty of places around Hamden that can make for a fun Saturday with roommates. One place where you can take a hay ride to pick your apples is right next door in Cheshire called Norton Brothers’ Fruit Farm.

2. What to do with all these apples? An apple pie would be the traditional route, but how about making candy apples or homemade apple sauce. Print out recipes online for different ways to make these fall goodies. Getting together with friends and using the common kitchen can be a fun way to interact and relax during midterms.

3. If picking apples doesn’t sound fun, then get into the Halloween spirit and pick pumpkins! Hickory Hill Orchard, located in Cheshire, is a local place that lets you pick your own pumpkins.

4. Pumpkin carving is a fun and creative way to decorate for Halloween. Give in to old traditions. When was the last time you carved your own pumpkin? There are kits in the local food market that have packaged scoopers for the inside and knives to create a jack-o’-lantern. Don’t forget to pick up a candle or plastic light to illuminate your pumpkin at night.

5. Pick out a costume! Want to be something different this year? Get together with friends and brainstorm different ideas from the media for your favorite movie characters. There are many different costume ideas online that you can make yourself and be original. If buying a costume is more your type, then the Spirit Halloween stores in Hamden and North Haven have loads of costumes that you can try on right there. And don’t forget, Halloween is next Saturday.

6. Visiting a haunted house one night can be a fun way to get spooked. There’s one in West Haven called “A Fright Haven” which is comprised of three haunted houses in one.

7. Rent classic thrillers – other than ABC’s “13 Nights of Halloween,” watching a classic horror movie can be a fun night in. Five rentals you should check out are: “Psycho,” “The Exorcist,” “Nightmare on Elm Street,” “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” and “Halloween.”