Updated: Two arrested on Mount Carmel campus

(Ed. note: This article also appeared in last week’s online edition as a breaking news story. It can be viewed here.)

Two Quinnipiac sophomores were arrested early Saturday morning on the Mount Carmel campus, according to Vice President for Public Affairs Lynn Bushnell.

Christopher Thompson was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana, possession of marijuana with intent to sell, and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to Capt. Ronald Smith of the Hamden Police Department.

David Bowen, Thompson’s suitemate in the Mountainview residence hall, was arrested for breach of peace after security entered their room.

Quinnipiac security and resident assistants entered Thompson and Bowen’s Mountainview dorm shortly after 2 a.m., according to the two students. Security searched for and found 21 grams of marijuana on Saturday, according to Smith.

The Chronicle spoke to both Thompson and Bowen on Monday afternoon.

“It got heated,” Bowen said of security’s entrance into the room. “I just remember waking up being subdued by security guards.”

According to Chief of Security and Safety John Twining, one security officer was “struck” during the conflict.

“He’s OK now,” Twining said. “We’re lucky that’s what it was confined to.”

Bowen and Thompson both said they were asleep when security initially entered the suite.

Thompson was confused as to why security targeted his room in the first place. He said he was made aware of four different reasons why security entered his room.

“There were contradictions and stumblings the whole time,” Thompson said of his conversation with one residence hall director.

Injured during the scuffle was one of Bowen’s suitemates, who Bowen and Thompson said was pulled out of his bed and onto the floor.

“It was pretty bad,” Bowen said. “I saw him hit the floor.”

The student is currently at home, and awaits a CAT Scan, Thompson said.

Bowen and Thompson are currently at a Hamden hotel at their expense. Thompson is set to appear in court on Oct. 30 in Meriden.

Both students are suspended from the university pending a conduct meeting, according to Bushnell.