An ultimate success for Alpha Chi

It takes talent to turn a casual, fun sport into a meaningful event, but the sorority sisters of Alpha Chi Omega did just that.

One of Quinnipiac University’s sororities, Alpha Chi Omega, held its 12th annual Frisbee Fest Sunday Oct. 4 from 1 to 4 p.m. The event helped raise money and awareness about domestic violence.

Prior to the fest, the sisters put signs that listed domestic violence statistics along Bobcat Way as well as the cardboard coffee holders in Café Q.

On the day of the event, the Quad was lined with purple and white balloons, and the girls wore neon-colored team T-shirts. There were different booths where people could play games such as a bungee run and dart balloons. The sorority also supplied a snow cone machine and a disc jockey to add to the festivities. One of the most noted activities of the day was the “Pie an Alpha Chi” event.

“At Quinnipiac, the cause of domestic violence is especially close to our hearts because in 1998 one of our own sisters, Elizabeth Pernel, was killed by a man on the hunt for his estranged wife,” said senior Ashley Duncan, vice president of services for Alpha Chi Omega.

The sorority began planning for this event last spring, “and [it] has been such a fun process for our chapter,” Duncan said.

There were eight teams competing in Sunday’s event, with the winner being team “Ryder.”

The fall weather added to the event’s success.

“It was a good day to play Frisbee and to get involved with other teams and compete,” said Rita Cordero a freshman from the team “Maximum Capacity.”

“Frisbee Fest 2009 was a huge success,” freshman Siobhan Stellato said. “It was a beautiful day to be out on the Quad and we were so pleased with all the support we got from the campus community. Overall it was a great day for everyone involved and we are so happy to be able to spread awareness about this great cause to so many people.”

“The event is a lot of fun, but it is such a good cause and we get a lot of support,” said Alpha Chi sister Taylor Paige.

The ladies of Alpha Chi Omega also hosted vigil on Monday, Oct.12 at 9:15 p.m. in Alumni Hall in order to honor all the victims of domestic violence.