WRECK of the Week

“The Tonight Show” and “The Jay Leno Show” are one and the same. The new show is no different, or better, than the older one. And, recent ratings have proven Leno’s shortcomings-he has finished in last place every night. He did start off strong the first week his show aired, but now the number of viewers tuned in every night has dropped severely. Moving to the 10 p.m. time slot has saved the network some money. However, the lead in for the local affiliates 11 p.m. news is less than stellar. It is unlikely things will turn around. Unfortunately, Leno may not be able to live up to his title of No. 1 late night host. The lowered ratings have put NBC in a tail-spin of sorts with the latest announcement that the network has canceled “Southland” before the second season has aired due to its dark and gritty episodes filmed. This is partly correlated with “Leno” taking all five slots at 10 p.m. where those darker shows could thrive (“Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” is showing signs of weakness on Wednesdays at 9 p.m. now as opposed to Tuesdays at 10 p.m. when it used to air). It is time for NBC to take action and suspend a few nights of “Leno” and develop scripted programming, so the network can get back on track.