Beware Thursday night risks

Ah, it’s Thursday night – a night to relax, finish homework and study for our 8 a.m. class tomorrow before we go party throughout the weekend. Not! A Thursday night at Quinnipiac is equivalent to a Friday or Saturday night somewhere else. The girls get ready a couple of hours before it’s time to go to the club by wearing their best makeup, the sexiest outfit they have and the highest heels they own. The guys are not to be left behind on their preparations. They wear their best clothes to impress their dates or the people they may encounter at the club.

By 10 p.m., most of them are ready to go and are lined up to take the shuttle. Some of them don’t even make it out of Quinnipiac due to the long lines that are formed to go out to New Haven. Is this really worth it? By the time they make it back from the clubs they are tired, sweaty and some may not even be in their right minds. The next day they may end up with a hangover, in a bad mood due to lack of sleep and who knows, they may not even remember what happened to them the previous night. Don’t get me wrong, there are people that are able to party all night and be fresh the next day for his or her morning classes. It’s incredible what these people are able to do. If you are one of those people that can manage partying all night and still be an attentive student the next morning, power to you!

Personally, I wouldn’t be able to this, with an 8 a.m. class, and even if I could, I would most likely wait until Friday night to go out with my friends. Going out on a Thursday seems like an impatient action since it seems as though the Quinnipiac students can not wait one more day to go out with their friends. I don’t think that postponing one’s plans one night would make much of a difference. You will most likely have the same experiences with your friends. But that’s just my humble opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I am not trying to convince people that going out on Thursday nights is unwise. I just think that going out on a weekend is a lot more sensible. When you go out on a Thursday night, especially if you are freshmen who can’t drive, you are risking many things. Not only will you have the uncertainty of not knowing when you’ll be able to get back to Quinnipiac due to the shuttle’s schedule, but you will not be certain about making it to class on time the next morning (if you have a class in the morning) and much less be able to concentrate on your classes on Friday.

So next time you go out on a Thursday night, think about the consequences, both good and bad, that may arise due to your impatience on starting the weekend.