Women’s LAX comes up short

The women’s lacrosse team lost the NEC championship against the Sacred Heart Pioneers, 11-6, last Sunday. The Bobcats scored first, but could not keep up with the Pioneers attack as Sacred Heart came away with their second consecutive NEC championship. The loss ends Quinnipiac’s program-record nine-game winning streak to finish the season with a 13-3 record.

Senior Bobcat Ashley Valentine got on the board first, eight and a half minutes into the game. The Pioneers responded with a streak of four goals in the next six minutes to take a 4-1 lead. With eight minutes left, Valentine put her second one into the net, cutting the Sacred Heart lead to two.

Junior Brittany Hauser scored first in the second half for the Bobcats, giving the Pioneers only a one-goal lead. Sacred Heart responded with five consecutive goals, capped by Mary Montesarchio’s goal with 10 minutes to play to give the Pioneers a 9-3 lead. That lead would be too much for the Bobcats to overcome.

A minute and a half later, Valentine scored her third goal of the game to make it 9-4. But Sacred Heart’s Corey Horelick came back with her fourth goal to bring the lead back to six. Quinnipiac’s Lyndsey Banach and Nicole Fiore each scored in the final minutes but it was too little, too late for the Bobcats as they lost, 11-6.

Senior Meghan Latonick, junior Katie Latonick and Sophomore Lauren Matusczak were all named to the NEC All-Tournament team based on their outstanding performances during the NEC Tournament.

Sacred Heart will try to earn an NCAA Tournament bid next Saturday at the MAAC champion, Fairfield.