SGA Q&A

Q: What is the process of transitioning an SGA member into their new executive board position? Do they shadow the previous board member for a period of time? Are they handed down a binder with a guide?

A: Honestly, there is no set process for transitioning, meaning every e-board has done it slightly different. In my two years this is the first time that an executive board I’ve been a part of has needed to truly evaluate how we are conducting the transition process. The basic transition process occurs between the outgoing E-board member and the incoming as they meet in the weeks prior to the official transition to discuss the basics of the position. This year I have asked all e-board members to meet at least once a week with their successor. Most e-board members pass on a binder or guide booklet to the incoming person, in fact a few years ago a transition binder was established that compiled information from all of the e-board.
    This year, aside from meeting with the incoming members at least once a week, we also have set aside a day before the official transition to sit down five-on-five and really discuss the questions that are on the forefront of the new e-boards minds and agendas. It is a fine line that we walk as outgoing members as we do have a good amount of knowledge gained in our tenures that should be passed on but we do not want to hinder the personal growth or ambitions of the incoming executive member by over exerting our beliefs and methods of conducting business. While there are a number of things that the Student Government does very well and traditionally continues from year to year we must understand that the incoming executive member has every right to lead as they see fit. The Student Body elected them to these positions and that is the true beauty of the transitioning process; at the end of the day they are not accountable to me and the way I’ve conducted business but to themselves and especially the students that have elected them.

— Answered by SGA President Sean Geary