RAVE of the week

One of the last great multi-camera sitcoms on television in 2009 is the Julia Louis-Dreyfus fronted CBS laffer, “The New Adventures of Old Christine.” Louis-Dreyfus plays Christine Campbell, a single mother, who shares custody with ex-husband Richard (Clark Gregg). Their close friendship after divorce is marred by Richard’s fiancée “new” Christine (Emily Rutherfurd). In the last year, “The New Adventures of Old Christine” has explored new avenues of comedy inspired by political events such as the passing of Proposition 8 in California. Christine married her best friend Barb (Wanda Sykes) to prevent her from being deported. However, this led to another storyline where the two were forced to give up their gym if they did not sign a contract against gay marriage. The funniest scenes in the show deal with Christine’s relationship with the “mean” mommies at her son Richie’s (Trevor Gagnon) school. Marly (Tricia O’Kelley) and Lindsay (Alex Kapp Horner) steal every scene they are in and their insults toward Christine, involving her being poor and a drunk (which is only slightly accurate), are simple pieces of comedy that the show excels in every week. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is a masterful comedienne, who portrays Christine with such self-deprecation and is one of the main reasons to watch the show.