Popularity election contest finally over

Good thing elections are over, because one more manic knock on my door and I just might have crumpled up the nominee’s flyer and threw it in their face.

Okay, so that statement is a little drastic. Yet I couldn’t help but fantasize that scenario as I was lying in bed trying to sleep and heard the banging and cries of “Vote for me!”

I have to hand it to the candidates, though. I could have easily recited to anyone that voting day was on April 1 on Blackboard until 8 p.m. Maybe that would be a good way to study–I’m sure if my professors put posters up everywhere of important equations or terms, I would ace that test. But my professors have no incentive to take that much effort in helping me with my grades. So what is supposed to convince me that these Student Government kids are trying to help me out?

The person I vote for wants to make Quinnipiac an even better school, and advocate the same causes as me. One of my pet peeves is when people don’t recycle, because honestly there is no reason not to when it takes very minimal effort. I really hope that the hundreds of flyers that were posted will be put to another use, because I was disappointed with how that paper was used the first time. Whether they were idiotic cartoons or someone’s picture from prom, every flyer I looked at, I could not help but think “And I care because.”

I did see one poster I liked.

It involved three main issues that should be addressed and a picture of Edward Cullen. Another clever advertisement was a magnet with takeout numbers to know. People like it when you talk about them, not you, so why do I want to see your name and smiling face everywhere? The whole election just felt like a huge popularity contest; vote for me I’m cute, vote for me I have donuts and sugar sticks, vote for me because I am shoving a laptop in front of your face. What if I had gone up to one of those tables on April 1 and right in front of the nominee voted for their opponent. I would have definitely looked like a jerk, but in the end it’s my choice. Heckling me while I am getting my breakfast is not going to make me vote for you.

I respect the people involved in the Student Government. It is essential that they are passionate and involved in decisions that affect the student body. I feel like anyone who decides to become a nominee is very intelligent, confident and persistent. The nominees this year proved to be really persistent. I hope that this determination does not fade and that those elected will hunt down information and seek change with the same enthusiasm and force that they used to get votes. Winning the election is not the accomplishment; it is merely the beginning of a responsibility. The nominees demanded us to vote, but now the roles have reversed. Now it is our turn to see if they can meet our demands.