SGA Elections: May the best man win

“My competitors would seek to do the same thing that has been failing for years now, which I like to call idealistic diplomacy. They want to be buddy-buddy with the administration. They want to write a nice letter and say ‘oh pretty please could you not take advantage of us.'”

Such was the stance of SGA presidential candidate Nicholas Rossetti, who felt the only way to create change on campus is to place financial and legal pressure on Quinnipiac administration. But Rossetti dropped out of the race yesterday.

Rossetti’s opponents, sophomores Louis Venturelli and Dean Czerwonka, will be now go head-to-head, vying for the presidency with fairly similar stances.

“Our campus prides itself on shared governance,” Venturelli said. “It’s the student government’s jobs to bring the student voice to the administration, and to positively affect their plans.”

“You just got to keep pushing, keep pushing, keep pushing,” Czerwonka, who noted during Sunday’s presidential debate that he was one a first-name basis with President John Lahey, said. “I’m somebody who’s very respectful in conversation with administration. I think that some approaches that other people might have are not the right ways to address this organization.”

Venturelli and Czerwonka are currently representatives of the sophomore class. Rossetti was elected as a representative, but stepped down from his position earlier this year.

“I absolutely lost faith in student government’s ability to make the changes that needed to be made to represent the students and fight for their protection,” Rossetti said.

The three candidates discussed their positions on Sunday night. Questions included whether their Greek life ties would influence their decision-making and how they would judge SGA’s effectiveness while, at the same time, helping students.

The candidates’ responses to each of these questions were fairly similar.

Polls will be open on Blackboard until 8 p.m. Students will also be allowed to vote on computers set up outside of the School of Communications, the Student Center, and between the Larson College Hall and Perlroth dormitories.

Election results will be announced on quchronicle.com tonight around 9 p.m.