NO MERCY: LAX scores 15

The Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse team defeated the Detroit Mercy Titans 15-4 to halt their five-game losing streak on Sunday. With the loss, the Titans fall to 0-7 on the season, while the Bobcats improve to 2-5.

The Bobcats opened the first quarter with a 7-0 scoring spree. Sophomore midfielder Kevin Kelly started the rally off with the first two goals – each less than a minute apart. Sophomore attacker Ted Dimond joined in on the action with two goals of his own, while Jack Oppenheimer, Jim Gianfelice and Garett Kerr each added a goal to make it 7-0 at the end of the first quarter.

Quinnipiac’s Mike Gast and Mitch Cooper added to the total in the second quarter with a goal apiece. The shutout lasted nearly 20 minutes into the game when Detroit Mercy’s Michael Schumacher scored an unassisted goal to make it 9-1.

In the third quarter, Quinnipiac tacked on another four goals to bring the lead to 13-1. Dimond registered his third goal of the game, while Billy Alessi, Jake Glebocki and Brian Straub all added goals of their own in the quarter.

In the fourth, Zach Pall added an unassisted goal before Detroit Mercy’s Kevin Demorest added his two goals and Schumacher added his second goal to bring the score to 14-4. With six minutes left, Alessi added his second goal of the game to bring the final score to 15-4.

Quinnipiac goalie Kevin Benzing played the first half and was credited with the win and five saves. Ryan Andrews played the second half in net, allowing three goals but registered five saves as well.

The Bobcats return to action on March 28 in Columbus, Ohio, when they take on Great Western Lacrosse League rival, the Ohio State Buckeyes at 1 p.m.