Spanning the globe

Spring break is the notorious week for college students to let loose and have a wild time. Usually scheduled after midterms, students crave a getaway for a week of sun and unforgettable memories. The hot spots for spring breakers guarantee that college students from all over will be able to party in the most alluring settings.

Now, students are back from break, but they certainly had their fun in the sun.

When asked why she chose Miami to spring break, sophomore Ally Dominguez said, “We decided to travel to Florida because the airfare was relatively inexpensive and we knew some great places to go and stay down there.”

Sophomore Christen Samuels traveled with Dominguez and four other Quinnipiac students to Miami.

“The night life was so different in South Beach,” Samuels said. “The nights started at 11 (a.m.) and didn’t end until around five when the bars closed and they had everything from clubs to pubs to drag queens performing in the streets. It turned out to be even more amazing of a vacation than I expected.”

Sophomore Matthew Goddard traveled with 40 of his brothers from the TKE fraternity for his spring break.

“We chose the Bahamas just because Cancun and Mexico is overrated in our opinion and most people have already been there,” Goddard said. “We wanted to try something new.

“In the all-inclusive resort there is a club you can go to, but other than that there are numerous clubs that are open each night. One of the favorites of my group was a place called, Señor Frogs. It was the best time of my life,” he said.

The Bahamas isn’t short on its list for daytime activities for spring breakers either. Goddard said he went kayaking, snorkeling, jet skiing, rock wall climbing, parasailing and banana boating with his TKE brothers.

Students who vacationed in Miami commented that being underage wasn’t a big deal. They said there were a variety of things to do to keep them busy. They went to the Miami Sea Aquarium, swam with dolphins and saw animal shows at the zoo. Miami offered special events during the spring break weeks such as The World Music Festival and the Food & Wine Conference. The students said both events attracted people from all over the world.

Not everyone was looking for a beach vacation during their Spring Break. Sophomore Deanna Bergstein discussed traveling to Europe as an alternative spring getaway.

“I think Ireland was a great trip for spring break because it allowed me to go somewhere I probably never would have gone,” Bergstein said. “Having my roommates there obviously made me want to go, but it was something different that a lot of people probably would never do.”

Bergstein said she only went for five days but was able to see a lot.

“I did go to Blarney Castle,” she said. “It was really cool to see what the rural part of Ireland looked like because I was staying in the city of Cork. We also went to the university (University College Cork) and that pretty much looked like it could be something out of Harry Potter.”

“Ireland has a lower drinking age so that opened up a lot of possibilities for nighttime activities,” Bergstein said. “We were allowed to be in pubs at night and we went to a lot of clubs. The Irish love to party. I didn’t see one dead night in Cork.”