LAX falls to Lafayette, looks ahead to Brown

Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse fell to the Lafayette Leopards 8-5 in Easton, Pa., on Feb. 28. The loss brings the Bobcats season record to 1-2, while the Leopards improve to 2-1 this season.

Lafayette got on the board first thanks to a goal from Stefan Bauer, the lone goal in the quarter. After the start of the second quarter, Bobcat sophomore Jack Oppenheimer scored the game-tying goal thanks to an assist from Ted Dimond. In response, the Leopards went on a scoring spree, collecting three goals in under three minutes. The Leopards’ Tom Perini scored Lafayette’s second and third goals, while Colin Serling added the fourth to bring the score to 4-1 in Lafayette’s favor.

The Bobcats responded with three goals of their own. With six minutes left in the half, Zach Dendas added to the Quinnipiac total with an assist from Gary Messina. With only two seconds left in the half, Dendas assisted Alex DeAlmeida with the goal to bring the score to 4-3 at half.

After halftime, the Bobcats continued to chip away at the Leopards lead with an unassisted goal from Dimond. Now with the game tied, the Leopards attacked the Bobcats. Lafayette’s Perini, Matt Mersky and Chris Ahern added goals in the third period. Oppenheimer added his second goal of the afternoon, an unassisted goal with four minutes left in the third. At the conclusion of the third quarter, Lafayette had a 7-5 lead.

The Leopards protected their lead and with less than three minutes left in the game, Ray Shalley scored an unassisted goal to bring the game to its final score, 8-5.

On March 6, the Bobcats travel to Providence, R.I., to take on the nationally-ranked Brown Bears, concluding their season-opening four game road trip.