Oscar fashion goes for the gold

Celebrities had a reason to celebrate on Sunday, Feb. 22. The 2009 Academy Awards feted Hollywood’s top performances and creative hands in cinema in its annual tradition.

Kate Winslet, who had been nominated for an Oscar five times prior, finally won a golden statue for her performance in “The Reader.” However, Winslet struck gold elsewhere, dazzling the bystanders of the red carpet with her choice in dress. Winslet was accompanied by fellow actresses who stunned viewers with their fashion choices. In some cases, however, Hollywood’s most coveted performers missed a beat when it came to their 2009 Oscar style, and a few of Quinnipiac’s own did not let that go unnoticed.

Kate Winslet was no less than stunning in a deep blue Yves Saint Laurent number with appliqué flowers as she walked down the red carpet and up to the stage to accept her long-awaited award.

Quinnipiac freshman Kristy Suppe said Kate Winslet’s attire stuck out to her the most.

“It’s not too much to look at once, and it isn’t tacky,” she said.

Vanessa Ann Hudgens made her Oscar debut in a black mermaid dress by Marchesa, adding some sweet Disney Channel style to the awards. Nicole Calautti, a freshman, favored Hudgens’ dress the most, as it was “the darkest and most unique.”

Miley Cyrus, another child of the Disney Channel brood, did not capture Calautti’s interest. Cyrus posed in a tiered and jeweled number by Zuhair Murad. The dress was indeed detailed, however Calautti said it was not suitable for the night. “It looks like a Sweet Sixteen dress, not a dress you would wear to the Oscars,” she said.

Although stars such as Hudgens and Cyrus are new to the Oscar scene, the veteran actresses of the Academy Awards were quick to continue their style superiority for paparazzi and news crews. Anne Hathaway, nominated for her leading role in “Rachel Getting Married,” stayed true to her classic beauty in a shimmery silver and ivory Armani Prive number, effectively accessorized by her bright red lipstick and sleek up-do.

Presenter Natalie Portman went for her usual unconventional approach in fashion, in a strapless Rodarte gown in pastel purple. With a sweeping train, Portman idealized the image of a Greek goddess with a modern twist on color.

Best Supporting Actress winner Penelope Cruz also turned heads in a voluptuous vintage number, with an embellished waist and laced bottom in a distinct white.

Of course, celebrities sometimes lose out on the top fashion lists, and according to some students, didn’t deserve the praise for both their acting talents and their taste in evening attire. Suppe disliked Jessica Biel’s Prada gown.

“It’s just not flattering on her. It also really doesn’t have a shape to it,”

Suppe said. “The drape in the front doesn’t look pretty on her at all.”

Beyonce’s House of Deron dress also left something to be desired, as the neckline was awkwardly cut and the large gold printed flowers over the dress were too busy for the eye. Heidi Klum appealed to an overflow of red in her dress designed by Roland Mouret. The dress was slit up to her thigh and cut off the shoulder for an unkempt appearance. With matching red shoes, Klum appeared to have tried too hard to fit in on the red carpet.

Oscar fashion is always the highlight of the fashion police. It is a critically acclaimed event in the world of cinema, and stars try their best to put together the most appealing outfits to be photographed on one of the most important nights of their lives.

Quinnipiac students didn’t necessarily agree on the outcome of the 2009 Oscars fashion parade.

“Overall, I didn’t think any of these dresses were that great or deserving of recognition,” Calautti said.

Suppe, on the other hand, noted that there were “a lot of different types of dresses shown and a good selection of choices to look at.”

Whether those dedicated to scoping out the fashion scene of the 2009 Oscars agreed with these arguments or not, one thing is for sure: the 2009 Academy Awards showed fashion that was worth talking about.