The good, the bad, the ugly

Although it was a night that contained much more drama than the average award show with arrests and impromptu performances, the fashion on the night of the Grammy’s failed to take a backseat.

Notoriously outrageous and bold, Grammy fashions seem to get more daring every year. Consequently, this year’s fashions trends on the red carpet could be separated into the good, the bad and the ugly according to many fashion critics.

Starting with the good, many stars chose impeccably beautiful gowns with just the right amount of edge. Looking well matured for her tender 18 years of age, country star Taylor Swift kept it classy and chic. In a black Kaufman Franco gown with leather straps, Swift completed the look with a 120-carat diamond bracelet. Swift’s teen gal pal Miley Cyrus also chose a classic black dress. Cyrus walked the red carpet in a one shoulder Max Azria gown adorned with a flower on the shoulder. Putting a dramatic spin on a black dress, presenter Kate Beckinsale turned heads in her Reem Acra gown. Complete with a curve hugging bodice that flowed into a full mermaid skirt with a train, Beckinsale pulled off the dress effortlessly.

Never afraid to shine in the spotlight, many singers and actresses took a number in the metallic, shimmery trend. The always glamorous Carrie Underwood followed many of her red carpet predecessors when she chose a metallic sequin number. The award- winning country star wowed fans in a gold beaded Zuhair Murad gown. Combining many looks into one, actress Gwyneth Paltrow wore grey metallic tights under a Versace sparkler, complemented by a Burberry cardigan. In a golden curve hugging gown, singer Leona Lewis donned a Randi Rahm Couture gown.

Shining under the glare of the flashbulbs, actress and singer Jennifer Hudson wore an origami inspired Roland Mouret dress. The gown contained white, black and metallic grey pieces. In a short and sweet number, Kim Kardashian chose a white airy Maticevski minidress.

In looks that raised the eyebrows of fashion critics and viewers alike, many stars walked the red carpet in questionable ensembles. It was difficult to tell singer M.I.A. was pregnant thanks to overly voluminous dress. Wearing neon blue Converse sneakers, the singer wore a blue flowered dress with puffy sleeves paired with an equally puffy skirt. Paula Abdul shocked fans when she took to the red carpet in a yellow Star Wars inspired dress. The Basil Soda gown contained all the right amounts of fabric but was weighed down by unnecessary metal adornment around the neckline and waist.

Wearing a metal belt to polish off the look, many critics thought Abdul modeled a robot rather than an American Idol judge. Singer Estelle failed at the metallic trend so many stars have pulled off with ease. In a silver metallic shift dress, Estelle looked contrived and awkward as she seemed to be following Abdul’s robot trend in her metallic grey eye shadow and oddly positioned dress.

A red carpet that always has room for many characters daring to showcase their offbeat trends, singers and actresses proved they weren’t afraid to show their spirit at the 2009 Grammy Awards.