Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day – I feel like people either love it or hate it. There is no happy medium with this strange holiday. As a hopeless romantic, I love the holiday; however, I can see how some would despise the day. What’s the point? Many feel that it’s just a day to wear pink, a day for guys to buy roses, and a day for many women to feel pampered or let down because their unrealistic, romantic movie-like standards have not been met.
    I’ve heard many nicknames for the big V – Day, such as: “celebrate singles day,” “most depressing day of the year,” or “dumbest holiday of the year,” just to name a few. I understand the negative feelings that the single crowd feels toward Valentine’s Day. Watching couples celebrate their love for each other must get old after you see the sixth box of chocolates and a dozen roses handed over to a giddy girlfriend. That could probably turn a stomach by the end of the day.
    I don’t want to sound like a hypocrite though, because I love when my boyfriend walks through the door with a bouquet of flowers and takes me out to a nice dinner. But there is another part of Valentine’s Day that I love just as much as the couple’s side of things. A part of the love-filled, somewhat tacky day that many people lose sight of: celebrating all of your loved ones.
    Society has made the day all about couples and lust-filled teenagers, but don’t forget about all of the other important people in your life. Going to my mailbox to find cards from my parents, best friends that go to school thousands of miles away and relatives that took time to remember me on Valentine’s Day, makes the holiday just as special as going out to a romantic dinner.
    Another stigma that comes along with Valentine’s Day, I think, is that the day is only for women. Yes, they are generally the ones getting the flowers and candy but guys don’t mind receiving something special from a loved one either. Maybe they don’t want 12 long – stem red roses, but perhaps the latest CD they’ve been wanting or a card will suffice. Or, if you don’t have a significant other to exchange presents with, think about your mom, grandma or aunts for a moment. I’m sure they would love to receive a card from you reminding them of how much you love and appreciate them. As cheesy as it may be, sometimes the gift of giving is really the most rewarding gift of all.
    So here’s to Valentine’s Day and all the love, flowers and candy that comes along with it. Enjoy the day, embrace the love, and really think about all of the people you care about.
    Once you have them on your mind, any negative thoughts you once had towards the day will probably disappear.