No Guts, No Glory

It’s that time of the year when everyone is trying to hold on to their New Year’s Resolution of getting back into shape. In an effort to ditch the holiday pounds, some people may have hit a road block at this point.

Many students have been heading to the gym for the typical workout: running on the treadmills or sweating it out on the elliptical. While this is a good routine, it is also a dull one that often leads to boredom followed by abandonment.

If you are looking to get out of your workout rut and find a unique approach to getting in shape, Quinnipiac’s No Guts, No Glory fitness class may be your answer.

Julie Connaster, a 20-year- old physical therapy major, has been teaching “No Guts, No Glory” since September 2008. She is certified with the International Sports Medicine Association and has received special training to administer the class. “No Guts, No Glory” lives up to its name during the hour long routine, offered weekly each sesmester. It is a combination of cardio and toning, set to fast- tempo music that works all of the major muscle groups.

Connaster said that her class mainly focuses on the abs, arms, legs and butt. If you are concerned with lack of fitness finesse, don’t be. This class requires no experience.

“Just be ready to have fun and sweat,” Connaster said to her participants. Freshman Allie Cleary said she took this class last semester and really enjoys the abs workout. Sarah Reilly, a junior, has taken the class once before and loves the workout she gets from the moves as well.

“The class works you really hard, and it’s really [involved],” Reilly said.

What’s Connaster’s motive behind “No Guts, No Glory?” “[It’s about] being able to give people the opportunity to work out in a structural and fun atmosphere. I know that sometimes it can be a pain to get yourself to the gym and make up your own workout, so coming to a class you don’t have to think too much,”she said.

In your quest to beat boredom at the gym this semester, fitness classes are a great way to break up the mundane daily routine. If you think you have the guts to put your body to the test, come and take part in “No Guts, No Glory” every Wednesday from 5:15-6:15 p.m.