Making your New Year’s resolution stick

The new spring semester has just begun and February is rapidly approaching. But with all things new for the college student, have New Year’s resolutions taken a back seat?
    It is a proven fact that many people who make New Year’s resolutions end up defaulting on them before the month’s end- as many as 97 percent. For the busy college student, resolutions are good goals to make but often times are difficult to maintain. A few tips to make any New Year’s Resolution last are as follows:

Be Realistic: People who make unattainable goals for themselves are only setting up for failure or disappointment. Making resolutions that you know you can accomplish will result in success. Never keep these short term goals far from mind.

Track the progress: If weight loss is one of your resolutions, for example, record what you eat or weigh yourself weekly. Tracking the progress will make the resolution seem new and the the goal you are working toward fresh in your mind.

Reward Yourself: If you are constantly beating yourself up for not achieving your resolution right away, you are more likely to give up on it. Using weight loss again as example, once you attain a new fitness level or lose a certain amount of weight, treat yourself to a nice massage or shopping trip. Even if the goal is not completely accomplished, feeling as if you are halfway through will keep the resolution standing. Little rewards along the way often times result in a big successful reward in the end.

Be Persistent: Never being too hard on yourself, you should keep a mantra of resilience. Following the first three steps will make this last one seem quite easy. Documenting, thinking and working toward your New Year’s Resolutions will keep them alive throughout the year.

New Year’s resolutions can be extremely beneficial for people, especially college students. If achieved, they provide a sense of accomplishment as well as equilibrium in mind, body and spirit. This state makes for a successful semester physically, socially and academically.