A golden night of fashion

After the writer’s strike canceled last year’s ceremony, the 2009 Golden Globes allowed celebrities to once again step out on to the red carpet in all their highly anticipated glitz and glamour. Perhaps making up for last year’s red-carpetless event, celebrities rose to the occasion when it came to fabulous trends and understated glamour.

In what many fashion critics said was a night of simple sophistication, the overall trend of the night in terms of celebrities’ fashion choices perhaps reflects the state of the economy. Instead of dripping in diamonds and pearls, many trends of the night included simple features that made for effortlessly beautiful ensembles.

On the female side of things, 2009’s Golden Globes trends included one-shoulder gowns, metallic shimmer, belted and mermaid gowns.

One-shoulder dresses have been on a steady rise with every award season in the past years. The one-shoulder look combines a sleek bare shoulder with classy coverage. Celebrities who dared to bear for this year’s Globes included Isla Fisher, Cameron Diaz and Maggie Gyllenhal. Fisher donned a peach colored Carlos Miele dress with pleated fabric detail. In one of the few looks that boasted bold color, Diaz flaunted a rich pink taffeta Chanel one shoulder gown. “The Dark Knight’s” Gyllenhaal rounded out the trend in a teal and black printed Lanvin gown.

Metallic is a new trend that appears to be here to stay. Metallic fabrics and accessories never fail in making the wearer stand out in the crowd. A look that usually can be pulled off with the help of a stylist, this year’s followers of the trend did not go overboard. Beyonce Knowles sauntered down the red carpet in a glittering off-white Elie Saab gown. Nominated for her riveting role in “The Changeling,” Angelina Jolie wore a nude, beaded Versace gown that sparkled under the flashbulbs of the paparazzi. In a seemingly similar look, actress Megan Fox stepped up the glamour factor in her glittering gold Ralph Lauren gown.

Belts were not only a bold fashion statement this season, paired with sweaters and dresses, but they also made appearances on the 2009 Golden Globe red carpet. A belt with a dress makes for an appealing silhouette, creating a cinched waist. Miss Golden Globe of the evening, Rumer Willis, wore the trend in a plum colored Reem Acra gown paired with a black belt. “House” actress Olivia Wilde rocked the cinched waist look in a white Reem Acra gown complete with a feathered skirt. Nominated for her leading role in her show “The Closer,” Kyra Sedgwick wore a belted, deep red Oscar de la Renta gown.

A fairly new trend in red carpet garb is the mermaid style gown. The dress is made with a tight bodice that flows into a full wide skirt. Celebs who decided to take the risk proved to be fashion hits. To complete the look of her new blonde hair, actress Drew Barrymore walked the red carpet in a whimsical light blue Dior mermaid gown. “Desperate Housewives” star Eva Longoria Parker wore a brilliant red Reem Acra mermaid dress. Strapless and fitted at the top, Parker’s gown flowed out at the bottom creating a beautiful elongating look. Finishing off the mermaid look, actress Kate Beckinsale wowed the crowds in a white couture J. Mendel dress that flared at the top and bottom.

The hair trends of the night could be placed in two categories. Celebrities either donned elegant but simple up dos or let their hair flow down in loose waves. Accessories for the night included beaded and metallic clutches and tasteful jewelry. Actresses tended to chose one large statement jewelry piece.

From Eva Mendes’ large turquoise necklace to Anne Hathaway’s large chandelier earrings, the leading ladies of the night knew how to keep it classy.

The men of the evening were as much fashion hits as their female counterparts. Again following suit to the female celebrities, the men walked the Golden Globe red carpet in sleek tuxedos. Ranging from classic to trendy, black and white suits on men took center stage.

Wearing aviators and partnering next to Angelina Jolie, ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’ actor Brad Pitt donned a classic Tom Ford tuxedo with a black bowtie. Leonardo DiCaprio worked the skinny tie trend in a Giorgio Armani tux.

Maintaining the class act factor, Tom Cruise attended the awards in a black and white tuxedo with shiny detailed lapel. Best Actor Mickey Rourke followed the metallic trend incorporating black sequins in his tux.

The 2009 Golden Globes included many big wins, a few snubs and even more losses, but regardless of their fate; celebrities brought their fashion A-games. One of the first major film award shows of the season did not disappoint when it came to gowns and accessories.