Getting their licks in

The Vermont Catamounts fended off the Bobcats women’s ice hockey team this past Friday at the TD Banknorth Sports Center, winning by a score of 3-1. The Catamounts improve to 3-8-0, while the Bobcats fall to 2-10-1.

The Catamounts were on the scoreboard first, scoring a goal eight minutes into the period. The goal was scored by Vermont defenseman Salaeh Morrison, her first of the season. She was assisted by forwards Erin Barley-Maloney and Teddy Fortin.

Late in the first period, the Catamounts won a faceoff on the Bobcat third of the ice. Catamount freshman forward Kyleigh Palmer snuck a shot past Bobcat sophomore goaltender Tia Wishart to put the Catamounts up by a score of 2-0.

The Bobcats attempted to get on the board, outshooting the Catramounts 5-2 in the second period. However, the Bobcats could not put one in net, and the Catamounts continued to put the numbers up. In a scramble in front of the goal, Palmer slipped the puck between Wishart’s pads for her second goal of the night. She was assisted by defenseman Shannon Bellefeuille and forward Teddy Fortin.

Quinnipiac finally got on the scoreboard with five minutes left in the game, after freshman forward Chelsea Illchuk slipped the puck past Vermont goaltender Kristen Olychuck for the goal, the first of her career. Illchuk scored on a breakaway after a pass from forward Janine Duffy.

Saturday, Nov. 15 night was more of the same. The Quinnipiac women’s hockey team fell to No. 7 Boston University Terriers, 5-1. The Bobcats record dropped to 2-11-1 on the season, while the Terriers of Boston University improved their record to 8-2-3.
In a back-and-forth game, both the Bobcats and the Terriers had their moments to shine. About 12 minutes into the game, Terriers forward Gina Kearns snuck a goal past the stick of Bobcat goaltender junior Nanna Holm-Glaas, which put Boston University on the board first with a 1-0 lead. Jenelle Kohancuk and Jillian Kirchner were credited with assists on the goal.

Near the end of the period, Bobcats forward Evelina Husar deflected the puck past the Boston University goaltender Melissa Haber to tie the game at 1-1. Senior captain Trudy Reyns assisted Husar with the goal.
With one second left in the period, Boston University forward Lauren Cherewyk blew a shot past Holm-Glaas. Cherewyk was assisted by Melissa Anderson on the goal.

Boston University got off to a quick start in the second period. Only thirty seconds into the period, Terriers forward Erin Seman hit a slap shot past the left shoulder of replacement Bobcat goaltender, sophomore Tia Wishart. Forward Melissa Anderson was credited with the assist on Seman’s shot.
Later, with four minutes left in the period, Boston University added to their total with a goal from Erin Seman, assisted by Anderson, bringing the score to 4-1. This was Seman’s second goal of the game, and Anderson’s third assist.

BU controlled the puck and dominated Quinnipiac along the boards throughout the second period. The Terriers had 14 shots in the period, while the Bobcats only had two shots.

The Terriers continued to control the puck in the third period, keeping the puck in the Bobcat zone. That strategy continued to work as BU scored their fifth goal, five minutes into the period. The goal was scored by defenseman Tara Watchorn. The Terriers goal expanded their lead to 5-1.

In the third period, the Terriers recorded eight shots on goal, while the Bobcats could only add one shot. The Terriers were in complete control in the third, as they cruised to a 5-1 victory.

“If we want to be a playoff team, it takes 120 minutes or 130, of everything you have,” head coach Rick Seeley said. “We were short-handed with injuries but all the more reason and opportunity for people to step up.”
The Bobcats will round out their home stand this weekend, taking on the Clarkson Golden Knights at 7 p.m. on Friday and No. 8 St. Lawrence Saints at 4 p.m. on Saturday.