CAT Van makes QU stop today

Tornados, hurricanes and other weather-related events leave thousands of homeowners homeless each year and even more with damage. When this happens, insurance companies send teams of employees to lend on-location support.

Today, Quinnipiac students have the opportunity to learn how Travelers Insurance mobilizes their teams of employees to help during such events. As part of the Travelers Corporate Showcase Day, students can also tour the industry leader’s Mobile Claim Headquarters (CAT Van). The Travelers team and the CAT Van will be located on the North side of the Recreation Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information about this event, students can go to Career Services.

The CAT Van visiting QU is one of five custom-built RVs designed to operate as mobile insurance claim offices. They are staffed by catastrophe response team members and equipped with everything required to process claims in the midst of a disaster — onboard computers and databases, printers, photocopiers, cell phones and fax machines. Each vehicle has its own generator, so it can operate in places without electricity and can process claims through wireless or satellite connectivity. The vans are staffed to provide services immediately following a disaster–personalized debit cards while banks are closed, checks, and instant access to cash. This helps cover customers’ short-term, immediate needs for food, clothing and shelter.

Students will also have the chance to visit with recent QU grads employed at Travelers and find out more about careers in Claim, Finance, Risk Management and Information Technology.