A new take on tattoos and piercings

As far as trends go, sculpted and fit bodies can take a backseat to their counterparts adorned in tattoos. In the recent years, showing some skin has never looked better.skin with some ink, that is.
    The tattoos and piercings of 2008 are becoming less taboo with each and every buzz of the gun and puncture of a needle. Teens and adults alike are in a hurry to show off their tattoo sleeves or the emblem on their ankle, following the celebrities who are notorious for showing their body art. The popularity of tattoos and piercings has become undeniable.

It is no shock to see students, from freshmen to seniors, parading around Quinnipiac’s campus with a lip ring or an arm shrouded with colored portraits of family members, quotes from their favorite musicians, or characters from their favorite stories. Students have played a huge role in the rising popularity of tattoos.
    “My parents were cool with me getting a tattoo because I’m 18 and can pretty much do what I want,” freshman Sara Bishop said.

According to a survey by the Pew Research Center, 36 percent of those ages 18 to 25 have at least one tattoo.

According to VanishingTattoo.com, 34 percent of Americans with tattoos said they made them feel sexier. 83 percent of Americans who invested in tattoos did not regret it and 26 percent believed that tattoos made them feel more attractive. It’s no wonder, with such heightening statistics, that tattoos have been welcomed into America’s ever-changing society.

I frequently wonder why the ideas of tattoos and piercings have become a part of society’s everyday culture, why they are becoming more fashionable by the minute, and why the younger generation has become increasingly enthralled with tattoos. The reasoning behind the revolution of body art seems to stem from the influence of celebrities and the current figures of pop culture.

Perhaps the person wielding the most influence on society’s outlook of tattoos is Kat Von D, a hip tattoo artist in Los Angeles. Her clients range from rap artist Eve to pro-skateboarder Bam Margera. Von D is covered head to toe in unique tattoos, and her rock heavy sense of style only makes her more attractive and attention-grabbing than she already is. Confirming an appointment with Von D can take years, and watching her perform her tattoo magic often only happens on the television screen. Her highly rated show is TLC’s L.A. Ink. Von D makes the overloading of tattoos on her body work seem natural and her fans can’t help but want to emulate her rebellious style, even if it means making numerous trips to their local tattoo parlor.

Those looking for some inspiration on decorating their bodies have also started to turn to celebrities such as Megan Fox. Fox alludes to the idea that tattoos can mean something, without just being a random, branding her body with a portrait of Marilyn Monroe, a star, a personal poem and a quote from Shakespeare.

Piercings, which are more commonly found on women, have also become increasingly apparent. Most women, according to a survey conducted by Northwestern University, got their piercings when they were under the age of 18. 15 percent of men and women in America have a body piercing. This fact alone adheres to the idea that piercings are indeed rising in popularity. The nose, the belly button and the earlobes are today’s most popular spots to pierce, and many people are jumping on the bandwagon.
    Tattoos and piercings seem to be the latest accessory for every male or female out there, affecting those of all ages, but staying predominant among the younger generation. Encouragement from celebrities and the younger generation’s helping hand in popularizing such rebellious feats has made it clear: Tattoos and piercings are making a truly permanent mark on society and not just the people who live in it.