Halloween dress-up suits college crowd

Since trick-or-treating is a bit juvenile for the college crowd, many might turn to clubbing and parties for his or her Halloween entertainment this year. For a holiday that is anticipated so far in advance, where you go and what you do is nowhere near as important as what you look like.

It seems for Quinnipiac University, the popular vote goes towards group costumes. Many students have decided to dress in themes or in similar costumes as their friends or roommates. The most common themed costumes come from characters in movies and television shows. Collaborations can include the Pink Ladies from “Grease,” the gang of “Scooby Doo,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “The Addams Family,” “Gilligan’s Island,” “The Flintstones” and “The Wizard of Oz.”

Another Halloween costume design trend that is gaining popularity is that of functioning costumes. What could be better than a costume that not only looks amazing, but is fully functional? A somewhat new and fairly popular costume is the “Twister” game dress, complete with a hat spinner to finish the look. Another functional idea is the beer pong costume. Each person dresses as a Solo cup and stands in three rows in descending order (think: billiard balls or bowling pins). The game is then played around campus or around town as regular beer pong would be, minus the alcohol, of course.

Then there are always the classics that seem to make their way out of the closet every Halloween.

“We’ve already ordered our costumes,” Erin Senior, who is planning to dress as a pirate this year, said.

“I’m going to be a cop,” Jayme Danielsen, Senior’s roommate, said.

“Sailor,” Annie Jones, another roommate said when asked what her ensemble will be.

Costumes are big on Halloween, but the decorating that is involved with the holiday is half the fun. The girls, out of sheer boredom they say, have decorated their dorm festively for Halloween. The door currently is dripping with fake blood and skeleton hands, and eerily wishes you a “Happy Halloween!” Inside, they have hung various orange and black plastic decorations.

Senior, Danielsen and Jones also plan to bake cookies and brownies to celebrate the spooky holiday. Partaking in Halloween festivities is a great way to not only celebrate the holiday, but a chance to bond with your roommates and meet new people in your building.

Quinnipiac is hosting many extracurricular events for Halloween this year, including various fall fests, pumpkin carving, a trip to the “Forbidden Forest” in Pine Grove, a psychic vampire presentation and horror movie double features. For a complete list of events, check out the Student Programming Board’s calendar.

Whether it is going to a club in New Haven or an event on campus, show off those Halloween costumes in a safe and fun manner this season.