Pure Madness

The winter sports season kicked off this past Friday in the TD Banknorth Sports Center with Midnight Madness. Students, faculty, alumni, and others in the Quinnipiac community filled the stands of the 3,570-seat Lender Court, many wearing yellow Quinnipiac shirts, to support fellow student athletes and spirit groups.

Midnight Madness celebrates the start of practice and season play for men’s and women’s winter sports teams. The festivities opened with a routine from the cheerleading team, with mascot Boomer the Bobcat cheering them on. The crowd was able to interact with the team, as the cheerleaders held up “Q” and “U” signs to begin a “QU” chant.

The pep band performed versions of four songs in between acts including “We Will Rock You,” “Gonna Fly Now,” “Build Me Up Buttercup,” and “Let My People Go.”
    For the first time at Midnight Madness, each class was pit against each other in “bragging rights” competitions that were held periodically throughout the night. Individual students were selected for each competition to represent their class. The contests included a dizzy bat layup challenge, a dance-off, tug-of-war, and a three-point contest. The senior class won the overall competition with a total of 130 points, just beating out the freshman class, with 120 points. The juniors came in third with 90 points while the sophomores finished with no points.

As a prize for winning, the senior class received a free tailgate party to any home basketball game of its choice for the 2008-2009 season. However, the freshman class was also granted a free tailgate party at a game of its choosing for being the most represented class in attendance.

Noticeably absent were the men’s hockey team, the women’s soccer team, and both tennis teams, due to their respective commitments at sporting events away from QU. The main event of the rally centered on the introductions for both the women’s and men’s basketball teams. Each player on both teams individually ran out of the tunnel to greet at mid-court.

Quinnipiac’s multiple dance teams all performed, including Dance Company, Step to Perfection, and Dance Fusion. Each presentation brought a unique style of dance to the table. QU Kickline high-stepped their way to the finish, closing out the ceremony.

The 2008 Fall Concert performers were also announced. The two musical acts to be performing in the Rec. Center on Nov. 16 are Ashanti and The Audition. Tickets will be sold for the concert from Nov. 3 to Nov. 14 in the Rec. Center.