Phi Sigma Sigma rocks out at Rock-A-Thon

The sisters of Phi Sigma Sigma at Quinnipiac hosted their annual Rock-A-Thon this weekend. The event was a fundraising effort to raise money for the National Kidney Foundation.

“The Rock-A-Thon is our main fundraiser of the year,” said Ashley-Rose Sherman, a sophomore sister of Phi Sigma Sigma.

The goal of the Rock-A-Thon is for a member from each Greek organization on campus (Tau Kappa Epsilon, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Kappa Alpha Theta, Alpha Chi Omega and Phi Sigma Sigma) to sit in rocking chairs and rock for a full twenty-four hours.

“We each have a shift in which we rock in the chairs,” said Sherman. “Mine’s from midnight to one in the morning.”

The actual event began at three in the afternoon on Friday and extended until three in the afternoon on Saturday. The rockers set-up their customized rocking chairs, various games to play, speakers playing music, snacks to be eaten, and other entertaining things on the quad.

“We have raffles and games and things like that,” said Sherman.

It’s not just for members involved in Greek life, though. The event is hosted for the whole school to take part in and enjoy.

“It’s just a day for people who are in Greek Life and who aren’t in Greek Life to come together and hang out,” said Sherman.

There is a lot more to the Rock-A-Thon than a little relaxation or fun and games. The main target of the event is to raise money for the National Kidney Foundation. The foundation’s goal, according to their web site, is to “prevent kidney and urinary tract diseases, improve the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by these diseases, and increase the availability of all organs for transplantation.”

The Rock-A-Thon event is not only held at Quinnipiac.

“Every college with a Phi Sigma Sigma sorority does a Rock-A-Thon,” said Sherman. “So it’s a pretty big thing.”