Wake up, Palestine is under fire

Katherine Rojas

I have always been interested in Middle Eastern culture, which is why I decided to do my recent political science paper on Palestine. Palestine has what we know as an executive branch called the Palestinian Authority and a legislative branch called the Palestinian Legislative Council. The PLC is the first national institution elected by Palestinians, creating the first democratic legislative body in the Arab world, according to a fact sheet on the S. Daniel Abraham Center for Middle East Peace website.

The Hamas group in the PLC may be known as a terrorist group. However, it is also a charitable organization using its funding to build hospitals and schools.

I think it’s interesting that Palestine has a democratic framework in its government and yet the most democratic state in the world will veto its bid for statehood.

Palestine built its country on culture and values and should have set borders and rights to its own land. If Palestine has set borders it will create concrete separation from Israel, thus avoiding conflict. Palestine’s conflict with Israel is a sensitive topic but I think it’s also unfair that Palestinian refugees were expelled from their land because Jewish communities, of just 30 percent, were moving into 56 percent of Palestinian land granted by the U.N. after World War II.

Palestine’s involvement with the U.N. would create more peace than chaos. Involvement with the rest of the world could prevent wars and allow more trade and actual “peace in the Middle East.”

It’s unthoughtful for the U.N. to make Israel a state without considering the other occupants of the land. Palestinians were settled in their land and are now left with just a sliver.

I know being in college may feel like living in a bubble, but it’s still important to know what’s going on in the world. Unless you read news articles in your leisure time or take Middle Eastern studies and political science classes, it’s your responsibility to know about the world you’re living in.

Being updated on a person’s relationship status or clicking through pictures of classmates you never talk to is not information you’ll need to know when another war occurs. Foreign affairs affect everyone even if those situations seem far away. Knowing about current events will help you build your own opinions, thus becoming a well-informed voter. Instead of updating your status, try updating your mind.