RAVE and WRECK of the week: Oct. 5, 2011

RAVE of the week: ‘Pop Up Video’ back on air

VH1’s classic music video show “Pop Up Video” returned to airwaves this Monday with brand new episodes. Finally.

Finally, VH1 returns to the programming that made the network. While VH1 was always in the shadow of MTV, the cable net is moving back toward playing music. Meanwhile, MTV is far from it. VH1 is not perfect with its strong of trashy reality television (ahem, “Mob Wives”) and scripted shows such as “Single Ladies,” but this new crop of episodes of “Pop Up Video” is a fine start.

“Pop Up Video” splices current and old music videos in a half hour program. Each music video includes thought bubbles throughout with factoids about the artist, song and the video itself.

The first new episode back since 2002 included Britney Spears’ apocalyptic “Till the World Ends.” Other videos showcased in the first week back are OK Go (“Here It Goes Again”), Diddy Dirty Money (“Coming Home”), Good Charlotte (“The Anthem”) and Lauryn Hill (“The Ex-Factor”).

It’s awesome to know their is a specific time and place to watch music videos on basic cable. While YouTube and other video hosting sites have become optimal in the last several years to watch videos, it’s nice to know there is still room in today’s age of social media and technology for music videos on television.

WRECK of the week: Holly gets breast insurance

It’s normal for people to accentuate their best body features, not insure them.

Former “The Girls Next Door” star Holly Madison definitely got her money’s worth for those noticeably fake boobs. Hugh Hefner’s ex-girlfriend recently insured her breasts for $1 million.

Feminists must be cringing at the thought.

The Playboy Magazine cover girl claims that she made the financial decision to protect herself in case anything happened to her famous “ladies.”

“I thought I’d cover my assets,” Madison told People Magazine.

According to the Washington Post, Madison isn’t the first “star” to insure a prized body part. Supermodel Heidi Klum insured her legs for more than $2 million, and soccer star David Beckham insured his legs for nearly $70 million.

The fact that Madison felt the need to back up her breasts is utterly ridiculous. What does she think could happen to them? It’s not like they’re going to just fall off due to excess weight. Or would they?

While it’s understandable that Madison’s breasts are an important part of her Playboy career, it’s embarrassing that she has built a livelihood exploiting her feminine parts.

For the sake of Madison’s career, hopefully it was a smart investment.