No. 9 Bobcats split opening series with Mercyhurst

For the second consecutive day the No. 9 Quinnipiac women’s hockey team battled No. 8 Mercyhurst in a matchup of two nationally ranked teams. The Bobcats got the better of the Lakers, earning a 1-0 shutout, for their first win of the season.

After a scoreless opening period, the Bobcats found some offensive attack on the heels of Elena Orlando. At the11:56 mark into the period, sophomore forward Elena Orlando’s shot from in front eluded Lakers’ senior goaltender Hillary Pattenden for her first goal of the season. Sophomore forward Emily MacKinnon and senior defender Bethany Dymarczyk. were each credited with an assist on the goal.

Junior goaltender Victoria Vigilanti made 24 saves en route to her 15th career shutout, leading Quinnipiac (1-1) to its first victory of the season. Vigilanti made five saves in the first period, nine in the second and 10 in the third. The junior goaltender continued her string of shut-out performances as she finished the 2010-11 season as the ECAC Women’s Ice Hockey leader with nine shutouts.

After being outshot 34-20 in Friday’s loss, the Bobcats applied pressure from the opening puck-drop, outshooting Mercyhurst 15-5 in the opening period. Despite three power-play opportunities for the Bobcats, Pattenden denied all 15 shots she faced.

Pattenden stopped 31 of the 32 shots for Mercyhurst (1-1), with the only goal coming from Orlando midway through the second period.

The Bobcats outshot the Lakers 34-24 on the afternoon including 15-5 in the opening period and 12-9 in the second. Last season’s ECAC Player of the Year, sophomore forward Kelly Babstock, led the Bobcats with seven shots. Junior forward Brittany Lyons and freshmen forward Nicole Kosta had five shots each for the Bobcats.

Quinnipiac committed only three penalties compared to the Mercyhurst’s six.
The Bobcats return to the ice, for their home-opener when the host the Maine Black Bears in a two game set, on Friday, Oct. 7 at 7 p.m. and again on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 1 p.m.