RAVE and WRECK of the week; Sept. 28, 2011

RAVE of the week: MTV makes it ‘Awkward’

Those who miss their days of social awkwardness can relive them through MTV’s new series “Awkward.”

The show revolves around Jenna Hamilton (Ashley Richards), who tries to coast through high school under the radar. Jenna recently finished a summer at camp where she lost her V-card to high school hottie Matty McKibben (Beau Mirchoff).

The series includes a kind of dry humor similar to the 2007 hit film“Juno.” It’s the same humor, minus the whole teen pregnancy thing.

Richards’s character, although awkward, is endearing and enjoyable to watch because she successfully turns drama into comedy. Her narrations throughout the show feature an FML attitude that can’t help but make viewers laugh.

Instead of throwing tons of sex and drugs into the plot’s mix, “Awkward.” keeps the story lines somewhat realistic by creating relatable and interesting content. Instead of assuming that all teens want to watch shows about sex and action, “Awkward.” delivers an enjoyable comedic experience without undermining its audience.

The season finale aired last night, and viewers were left wanting more. Hopefully MTV has enough common sense to renew it for a second season.

WRECK of the week: Levi Johnston still fame hungry

It seems that Bristol Palin’s baby daddy just won’t stop running his playboy mouth.

Once again, Levi Johnston is trying to prolong his already expired 15 minutes of fame in a tell-all interview about his new book titled “Deer in the Headlights: My Life in Sarah Palin’s Crosshairs.”

Sounds like a book about forgiveness and reconciliation, right?

During the recent interview with E! News, Johnston admitted to thinking his ex-fiancé’s mother was attracted to him.

“Even growing up my friends would always say that [Palin would flirt with him], it seems kind of weird,” Johnston said in the interview. “Then one of my publishers said she had a cougar crush on me!”

Johnston has a long history of public feuds with Miss and Mrs. Palin: everything from verbal bashing to a racy photo spread in Playgirl Magazine.

The fact that publishing companies and TV stations still give this spoiled bratt any type of publicity is pathetic.

If Johnston missed the episode of Sarah Palin wielding a shot gun on her short-lived reality show, he should consider watching it before his next obnoxious publicity stunt.