Red carpet review at Emmys

Awards season is any fashion junkie’s drug of choice. You can read a fashion magazine or window shop for hours, but the red carpet is literally where it’s at. How else would you know who Herve Leger is? Without awards season, this guy is just some French dope with a name you can’t pronounce. Yet once a celebrity wears his couture, he’s suddenly glamorous – and usually that celebrity will wear a name like his on the red carpet.

Thus the Emmy’s, which aired this past Sunday, kicked off the coveted awards season and the infamous red carpet fashion. The Emmys is the ultimate prelude to the Oscars and the Golden Globes, which may just be the power couple of all awards shows and red carpet events.

I only have two words for you: Sofia Vergara. At 39 years old, she killed it in a salmon pink Vera Wang gown that showed off those lovely curves. Vergara is hilarious as Gloria on “Modern Family,” and her ability to wield a BB gun on television in heels only makes her real-life fashion choices that much more fabulous and connected to her beloved character.

I would venture to say that Vergara was the forerunner of the solid color trend, and a number of different celebrities resorted to wearing one single color, usually in an extremely bright hue (you may win over the hearts of America as a cute, blonde cheerleader on “Glee,” Dianna Agron, but stay away from turquoise blue satin).

Stars like Katie Holmes, Lea Michele, Kate Winslet, Nina Dobrev and hostess Jane Lynch chose gowns in different shades of red, blue and purple, while other TV stars opted for embellished gowns. I seem to always have an issue with such a gown, because if it does go wrong, it can make any celebrity look like an overwhelming chandelier. Actress Julianna Margulies wore an Armani Prive dress with a crystal bust. Some may have thought that she looked elegant, but all I saw was a bejeweled piece of plastic Tupperware hanging off of her chest. “Mad Men” star Elisabeth Moss, on the other hand, gave the embellished look an antique vibe in a nude Marchesa gown that featured silver embroidery on the bodice and arms. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what I like to call class.

I give the most credit to comedian and actress Kristen Wiig, who wore my favorite gown of the night. Wearing a Zac Posen ombre gown with a Grecian structure, I can now say my initial obsession with the star increased dramatically after seeing her on the red carpet. The actress simply relied on an earth tone, a little bit of skin, and red lipstick. The more natural the better, I always say, and often times the best kind of glamour lies in a simplified look like hers.