2008 MTV Video Music Music Awards

If you thought that the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards were horrible and that they could not get any worse, they just did! If there was such a category as “Worst Award Show Ever”, this year’s September 7th show would have won it with flying colors. Everything from having a lame host, Russell Brand, who you could barely understand, to disorganization of the award presenting, to the lack of talented performers, made this year’s award show the biggest waste of time.
    Just like last year, the VMAs had Britney Spears open the show. Luckily, it involved her wearing a sequined dress instead of that bikini she was busting out of, and she was actually prepared for this “performance”. She did a comedy skit with Jonah Hill in her dressing room, which was actually pretty funny. Then she came out on stage to open the show and brought out Rihanna, who did a “Thriller”-worthy version of her hit song, “Disturbia”. This was the first disappointing performance of the evening. One of the other performances involved a certain pop-diva, who claims that she just “Keeps Getting Better”, lip-syncing her new single while doing cheesy choreography, proving that maybe Christina Aguilera should in fact just go back to the basics. Another performance involved Paramore playing a song as if each member of the band were in a race to finish playing first. Haley looked like she just rolled out of bed and suddenly didn’t know how to sing. Their set couldn’t end fast enough, and was “Misery Business” to anyone watching it.
    Don’t even get me started on the host, Russell Brand. Where’d he come from? And who is he to disrespect people who actually have class and respect for themselves? He just couldn’t stop going on and on about how the Jonas Brothers have promise rings. He kept saying inappropriate comments until an angry American Idol winner, Jordin Sparks, came out to present an award and said that “it’s not bad to wear a promise ring, because not everybody, guy or girl, wants to be a slut.” He couldn’t apologize enough after that.
    I don’t think you want to hear me go on anymore about this award show because, believe me; I can go on a complaining streak for a lot longer. But I think you get the point. The 2008 MTV VMAs were the worst award show in the history of award shows. Afterwards, I spoke to some of my friends about what they thought of the show and there was not a single person who spoke positively about the show. MTV has a lot of work to do if they ever want me to watch another one of their awards shows again. If it’s possible MTV, give me back those hours I wasted on you!